If you are not taking one of the free LAK15 Airport Shuttles then we are recommending that attendees take a shuttle (see below) from area airports to one of the two main New York City train stations (Grand Central Terminal or Penn Station) and then take either a Metro North or AMTRAK train to Poughkeepsie, New York. From the Poughkeepsie train station it is a short (5 minute) cab/taxi ride to the conference hotels and the Marist College campus. Below are detailed travel information for these options.
STEP ONE: Transit from airport to New York City train station(s)
John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) and LaGuardia Airport (LGA)
If you are arriving at JFK or LGA we highly recommend that you use the NYC Airporter Shuttle which will provide transportation to either Grand Central Terminal OR Penn Station (see below for train station information).
- Tickets cost $14-$16 (US) one-way or round-trip for $26-$30 (US).
- On average, the trip from JFK to New York City (NYC) train stations is 90 minutes and 60 minutes from LGA.
- Shuttle picks up outside of the baggage area of each JFK/LGA terminal every 30 minutes.
- Shuttles have free Wi-Fi and power outlets (international travelers may need to use an adaptor)
- Shuttle schedule, online ticket purchasing and other details are available on the NYC Airporter Shuttle web page.
Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR)
If you are arriving at EWR we highly recommend that you use the Newark Airport Express bus service which will provide transportation to Grand Central Terminal.
- Tickets cost $16 (US) one-way or round-trip for $28 (US).
- On average, the trip from EWR to Grand Central Terminal is 60 minutes.
- Shuttle picks up outside of each terminal every 15 minutes (see web site for specific locations).
- Shuttles have comfortable seats and are climate controlled.
- Shuttle schedule, online ticket purchasing and other details are available on the Newark Airport Express web site.
STEP TWO: Take train to Poughkeepsie, New York
- Grand Central and Metro North Train Option - Metro North trains tend to be slighly less expense than AMTRAK and run more frequently but do not have Wi-Fi, can take slightly longer and provide more basic train accomodations. Although you can purcahse tickets online, we recommend that you purchase Metro North train tickets at the Grand Central Terminal. Tickets range from $23 to $29 one-way depending on the time of day.
- Online Metro North Train Schedule - You will want to take the Metro North Hudson Line (which runs along the East side of the Hudson River) from Grand Central Terminal to Poughkeepsie, New York. Travel time is approximately 1 hour 45 minutes.
- Penn Station and AMTRAK Train Option - AMTRAK trains provide free Wi-Fi and slightly better train accomodations (e.g. nicer seats) but run less frequently than Metro North and are slightly more expense. You can purchase AMTRAK tickets online or at Penn Station although purching tickets in advance is recommended as some trains can be sold-out. Tickets range from $25 to $40 one-way.
- Online AMTRAK Train Schedule and Ticket Purchasing - You will want to take the AMTRAK train from Penn Station (NYP) to the Poughkeepsie Station (POU). Travel time is approximately 1 hour 30 minutes.
STEP THREE: Take taxi cab from Poughkeepsie Train Station to hotels or Marist College.
Once you arrive at the Poughkeepsie Train Station (both Metro North and AMTRAK stop at the same station), you should take a cab to your conference hotel.
- The following cab or taxi companies provide service from the train station to hotels. Taxi cabs can take 15-20 minutes to arrive and please mention that you are with the LAK conference to receive a discount if you have more than one person in your party:
- Taxi Service of Poughkeepsie: 845-518-0140
- VIP Express Taxi Service: 845-834-4361
- A-Team Livery Cab Service: 845-202-3909
- H&H Taxi: 845-472-6060
- Your hotel will also be able to assist you in getting taxi cabs.
- Some local cab or taxis may not accept credit cards, we recommend you have cash with you. Cab/taxi rides to area hotels should be approximately $10.
- Although there are times during the day when cabs will be waiting at the station, we recommend that you call in advance of arrving at the train station to request a cab particularly if you are arriving early or late in the day.
- IMPORTANT: You should NOT attempt to walk from the station to your hotels.
Besides the free LAK15 Airport Shuttle and the above noted recommended alternative transportation option, there are the following additional options for traveling from area airports to LAK15 hotels and the conference venue, these include:
- Car Rental - You can rent a car at JFK, LGA and EWR airports with costs ranging from $350 - $425 per week. Travel time from the airports to the conference range from 2 - 2.5 hours depending on the time of day. Please be aware that driving will vary from urban high congestion conditions near the airports to fairly rural conditions closer to Poughkeepsie, New York.
- Car Service - You can arrange for a private car service to pick you up from the airport arrival area directly to your hotel with costs ranging between $225 and $250 each way. Typically you can fit three adults in a car comfortably. Some car service companies can also provide larger vans or similar vechicles for larger groups. Below is a list of car services used by Marist College:
- Bus Service - You can take a bus from the New York City Port Authority Bus Terminal to Poughkeepsie, New York which costs approximately $22 one-way. Buses run 4-5 times per day (ever 2-hours or so) and take approximately 2.5 hours in travel time. You can be dropped off at the Poughkeepsie Train Station or Marist College.
If you are arriving late at night or need to depart early in the morning it may be useful to consider staying over at a hotel which is near your area airport. In most cases these hotels have free shuttles that will transport you between the hotel and airport terminals. Below are links to local hotels at each of the major airports:
Table of Contents
- Recommend Alternative Transportation - If you are not taking the free LAK15 Airport Shuttle we recommend you use this alternative travel option.
- Additional Transportation Option - This is a list of more costly travel options including car rentals and private car services.
- Airport Hotels - If you are arriving late at night or need to depart early in the morning we recommend you consider staying overnight at a local airport hotel.
Need help? Have a question? Please contact us at LAK15@marist.edu.